The fresh aroma of ground coffee is one of the most pleasing smells that will feel you stimulated almost instantly. Made from roasted and ground coffee beans, this type of coffee is not only very readily available, but they also come in different flavors.
Yes, you might have heard some people saying how you should always grind your own coffees instead of buying pre-ground coffee. However, as long as you are buying from reputed coffee brands like these, you don’t have to worry about the quality of your ground coffee. However, how to choose the best ground coffee available in the market ? We get this question a lot, keep reading to find the answer.
10 best ground coffee reviews – Our top picks
1. Death Wish Coffee Company Ground Coffee
Are you looking for bold and best ground coffee to give you a fresh start to the day? Try this ground coffee from the brand of Death Wish ground Coffee Company right now.
- USDA-Certified Organic Coffee that comes with a Fair Trade label to support the farmers
- Carefully selected beans that are roasted and grounded to the right level to stimulate you
- Sophisticated technology for roasting and grinding to ensure that the flavors of the beans are retained well
- Comes with a risk-free, money-back guarantee
- Smooth and dark-roasted coffee with a bold and intense taste
- Roasting done by some of the best experts in New York to retain the freshness
- Gives a full refund if you are not satisfied with the product
- Taste is not as good as the claims
- Quite steeply priced at around $20 for 16oz
Death Wish Company’s Ground Coffee is definitely quite bold; it can stimulate you in a jiffy and is perfect for your auto-drip coffee maker. Also, since the company offers you a full refund of your investment, we don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t buy this right now. This is the best coffee brand in terms of taste and quality.
2. Caribou Coffee Blend
If you don’t like the taste of high-roasted and bitter coffee beans then this medium roast ground, Caribou Coffee brand is an excellent choice for you. Get creative by trying different flavors of coffee each day, thanks to this best ground coffee.
- It can be used as a perfect blend for different tastes that you can enjoy throughout the day; some examples of blends you can use are the nutty breakfast blend and aromatic vanilla hazelnut or chocolate blends.
- It sourced from sustainable resources and are used for a variety of blends including the French roast ground coffee; the credibility that Caribou Coffee Blend enjoys in the market is impressive
- Comes with a rainforest-alliance certification, which means the coffee beans are grown organically and ethically
- Made from 100% Arabica beans that are roasted in small batches to ensure that the quality is not compromised at all
- Compatible for various methods of making coffee such as pour-over, drip coffee makers and Keurig reusable K cups and so on.
- Comes with various flavors with a good balance of sweet and spicy tastes in it; bittersweet cocoa and cedar finish is the key specialty tasting note of this blend
- Contains the trademark richness of the Indonesian coffee beans, with the right levels of acidity and aromas found in the Central and South American coffee beans
- Some coffee lovers feel that this coffee is too strong though it is of the medium-roast type.
While the Caribou Coffee Blend is quite popular in the market today, we would recommend it to you only if you like to experiment with various flavors and like your coffee to be bitter.
3. Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend
For all of you who love full-bodied coffees, here is a fantastic ground coffee blend - Major Dickason’s Blend from Pete’s Coffee brand. The blend is named thus because Mr. Pete created this blend exclusively for his loyal customer, Major Dickason. Today, this is seen as an embodiment of rich, flavorful and full-bodied coffee blends.
- Dark roast of carefully grown and selected beans by communities for whom the company cares for
- Rich beans are carefully roasted by a high-class team of 9 expert roasters with rich experience in this field
- Coffee beans are selected from the top coffee-growing countries in the world; only those which are grown on high, volcanic soils are selected for preparing the blend of your choice. It is high caffeine, which makes it delicious.
- Started by Alfred Peet, a revolutionary coffee maker about 50 years ago in Berkley, but the consistency and richness of the blend are the same till date. This is the perfect rich coffee you should definitely try.
- Been in the business since 1966; excellent partnership formed with the coffee-growers of some of the best nations to ensure that only the best beans are sold to the customers
- Pre-ground coffee for a smooth and rich texture to give you a balanced cup every single time of brewing
- Exploitation is quite high when it comes to online buying as stale coffee was provided to many buyers.
We highly recommend this blend for people who like their coffees strong and complex. However, check for the freshness before investing in it.
4. Valhalla Java Ground Coffee
The Death Wish Coffee Company is known to create some exotic and rich blends of coffee to cater to the diverse needs of coffee lovers. The Valhalla Java Ground Coffee is a perfect combination of coffee beans grown in various regions.
This roast was first designed for famous guitarist, Zakk Wylde. So, if you are a lover of rock and roll music, this blend will surely impress you. The produce the best coffee in the world.
- Known as the Nectar of the Gods, this coffee comes with the sophisticated flavors of walnut and chocolate
- Made from carefully selected beans grown in the volcanic soils of Indonesia and the fertile soils of South & Central American regions
- Fair-trade and USDA-Certified Organic Coffee brand without added caffeine, which means it's grown organically with full consideration for the farmers
- Comes with a risk-free, money-back guarantee, thanks to which you can get your full money back if you are not satisfied
- Compatible with all types of coffee makers ( manual & automatic)
- Some users felt that the final taste doesn’t live up to the hype created by makers
The Valhalla Java Coffee is designed to give you a high that you feel at a rock music concert. Try it right now and you will know what we are talking about.
5. Bulletproof The Mentalist Ground Coffee
Bulletproof is a company that is known for making healthy and organic coffees of unique tastes and flavors. The Mentalist is one such premium gourmet coffee made from a medium to dark roast coffee beans sourced organically. The best thing about this coffee is that you can drink it even when you are on special kinds of diets such as Keto or Paleo.
- Made from selected coffee beans in unique coffee plantations in Central America
- Organic coffee that is rainforest alliance certified; therefore, it has no trace of chemicals in them
- Medium to dark-roast beans give you a blend of different flavors in your mouth; these include dark cocoa, vanilla, cherries, almonds, and caramel
- Roasting is done in highly-protected environments in small batches in a facility in the USA to eliminate the presence of any kind of toxin in the beans
- All coffees produced by Bulletproof undergo various testing processes at every step to eliminate toxins in the beans
- Every single bean is carefully hand-picked by experts who know the nitty-gritty of the importance of choosing ripe berries
- Some users who purchased online didn’t get fresh coffee
If you are very conscious about your health and are also a stickler for purity, the Mentalist Ground Coffee from Bulletproof is definitely a good choice for you.
6. AmazonFresh Colombia Ground Coffee
Amazon’s products, regardless of the category, are known to give you full value for your money. The Colombia Ground Coffee from AmazonFresh is no exception to this rule.
- Made from 100% Arabica coffee beans grown in select coffee plantations in Columbia
- Carefully selected, full-bodied coffee beans that are medium-roasted to give you a smooth taste in every single brew
- Roasting happens in small batches in the USA by master roasters to retain the aroma and flavor of the beans
- Comes with a money-back guarantee within one year of purchase
- Comes with different aromas such as citrus fruits, cocoa, brown sugar and other fruity tones that give it a long finish
- Packed with a one-way freshness valve immediately after roasting to retain the freshness of the beans and give you a highly satisfying cup every single time
- The packaging wasn’t up to the mark, as reported by a few users
- Aromas are not as dominant as claimed by the manufacturer
While the price and the quality of grinding are definitely quite impressive in this ground coffee from AmazonFresh, we would recommend you to buy a small 12-ounce pack first to see if you like this coffee, before you proceed to get the 32-ounce pack.
7. Kicking Horse Coffee Three Sisters
The Three Sisters medium roast ground coffee from the Kicking Horse Coffee brand is known by three adjectives – smooth, savory and seductive. This product is named three sisters as an homage to the three mighty peaks of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
- Made from coffee beans in the secure and eco-friendly coffee plantations in Indonesia, Central America, and South America
- Organic ground roasted coffee with a fair-trade label, which means that the coffee growers and farmers are taken good care of by providing them with sustainable businesses for them to earn a living
- Come in different and unique tastes of sweet tobacco, stone fruit, and cocoa; theses coffee beans come with the aromas of toasted coconut and chocolate malt
- Compatible to be used with pour-over types, cold brews, and drip coffee makers
- Roasted right beneath the towering and mighty peaks of the Canadian Rocky Mountains, which add to the flavor and aroma of the coffee beans
- Excellent flavors with the right amount of intensity and acidity
- Fine grind makes it compatible with different types of brewing techniques
- Some users felt that the medium roast was also a little too strong for them
Go for the Three Sisters medium-roast ground coffee if you love your coffee complex, aromatic and full-bodied. You will not regret your decision.
8. Joe Knows Coffee
Do you want your coffee to do more than just stimulate your brain? Do you want your coffee to surprise you with its exquisite complexity and full-bodied character? If yes, you have to try the Tall and Handsome Dark Roast Ground Coffee from the company, Joe Knows Company.
- Designed for French Roast and Dark Roast coffee lovers who like their coffees to be deep, mysterious, intense and adventurous
- Made from 100% Arabica beans grown by some of the select coffee growers across the world
- Made by Paramount Coffee, a company with coffee experts, which adds to the credibility and reputation of this ground coffee
- Known for its bold, rich and smooth finish to cater to the different tastes and preferences of coffee lovers across the globe
- Roasted and packed immediately after roasting in a well-protected facility in Lansing, Michigan, to give you the perfect cup of good coffee every single time
- Flavorful coffee beans that are free from toxins, chemicals, lactose, gluten, and other preservatives
- The texture of grind and richness of the beans are quite impressive
- Good value for money
- Easy on the stomach
- Flavor could have been more robust, as reported by a few users
We would recommend the Tall and Handsome Dark Roast ground Coffee Beans from Joe Knows Coffee to you if you like every cup to surprise you with unique flavors.
9. Gevalia Traditional Mild Roast Coffee
Are you looking for a mild-roasted but flavorful cup of coffee that is devoid of any bitterness? If yes, the traditional Mild Roast Ground Coffee from Gevalia is a good choice for you. Gevalia, the Swedish coffee brand, comes with over 150 years of experience in the coffee industry; therefore, you can trust this ground coffee blindly.
- Made from 100% Arabica coffee beans with refreshing aromas to give you the much-needed freshness anytime during the day
- Comes with a rich European coffee heritage; therefore, the brand understands the pulse of the coffee lovers perfectly
- Mildly roasted coffee beans to the right levels to retain the rich and smooth aromas of the beans intact
- Great for people observing Kosher as well
- Doesn’t cause any heartburns, despite being very rich and smooth
- Flavor has been consistently good for more than 100 years now
- Does taste mildly bitter, though the product claims that it is devoid of any bitterness
- Quite costly when compared to other mild-roast ground coffee brands
Regardless of its slight bitterness, we would recommend the mild-roast ground coffee from Gevalia to you, just for you to feel the richness of the European coffee tradition that has evolved so beautifully over the years.
10. Koffee Kult Thunder Bolt Ground Coffee
It’s time now for some Hollywood style of coffee. Manufactured by a small family-owned company in Hollywood, Florida, the Koffee Kult Thunder Bolt Ground Coffee is one that gives importance to the details. If you are looking for medium-roast ground coffee with the right balance of acidity and sweetness, you have come to the right place.
- Features high-quality French roast beans that are full-bodied, earthy and with a tinge of molasses flavor with a long finish
- Made from 100% Arabica coffee bean varieties grown in the best areas of Columbia and Brazil; roasted by an expert family-operated team in Florida. It has 20 percent less caffeine compared to other coffee brands
- Gourmet Columbian coffee that is organically sourced and comes with a fair-trade label
- Packed as soon as the beans are roasted to retain the flavors and give you fresh and intense coffee every time you brew it
- Compatible to be used with any coffee maker and can be used to prepare any type of coffees you want (cappuccino, mocha, latte and more)
- Comes with balanced acidity with a crisp and sweet finish that will remain for a long time on your taste buds
- Quite steeply priced at around $40 for a 32-ounce packet
Yes, the price is slightly high, but we feel that this coffee is definitely worth your investment if you love a cup of strong caffeine but sweet brew every time.
What to consider before buying ground coffee
Now that you know about some of the best ground coffee brands that you can buy, here are some important factors that you should keep in mind when buying ground coffee:
Country of Origin
Coffee plants in different countries have different flavors because of the varying soil qualities, climatic conditions, and altitude of the coffee plants in these areas. Coffees from Central America, Indonesia, South America, and Africa are quite popular. So, you should be aware of the origin of the ground coffee you should buy.
Date of the roast
You should always get a tin of ground coffee after checking the date when the coffee beans were roasted. You should purchase coffees whose roast date is closest to the date of your purchase. The later the roast date, the staler the coffee tastes.
Level of roast
Roasting the coffee beans takes away the moisture in them and caramelizes some of the sugar contents in them. Therefore, when you purchase high-roast ground coffee beans, you will notice that your coffee tastes slightly smoky and very bitter. Mostly, people choose medium-roasted to lightly roasted ground coffee, because the flavors are balanced this way.
Type of beans used for roasting
The quality of your ground coffee will depend on the type of coffee beans that are used for roasting and grinding, Arabica and Robusta are the two main types of beans you will come across. Arabica beans are soft and sweet with a high dose of acidity. However, Robusta beans are bitter and very strong. They look like grains and taste like peanut butter.
Place of purchase
Always get ground coffee from reputed coffee shops or roasters. Supermarkets and general stores may sometimes exploit you with fake ground coffee products.
Certifications and labels to vouch for the authenticity of the coffee
It is highly recommended that you buy ground coffees that come with certain certifications such as organic, fair trade, direct trade, and more. Organic coffees are those plants that are grown without the use of any harsh chemicals or pesticides. Fair-trade and direct-trade coffees are those plants that are grown with the intention to support the farmers.
Type of package
How is the ground coffee packed? Is it in a loose packet or cover? If yes, you should stay away from it, because the packet is exposed to heat, light, and moisture this way. This can alter the taste of the coffee to a great extent. Therefore, you should always get ground coffee that comes in a tightly-sealed tin.
As you can see from the above sections, choosing the best ground coffee requires a lot of research and reviews from your side. Our top 10 picks discussed here will give you an idea about some of the best ground coffees in the market today. We hope this has made your decision-making easier than before when it comes to choosing the right ground coffee for your needs.
John Mac is a full-time traveller who is also an avid coffee lover. He started this blog writes articles about coffee-related topics, product reviews to reach thousands of people. You can reach out to him at email@example.com